Tires - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 76Likes

post #1 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Tires

Hi, my first post but I have been lingering for some time. I am seriously considering a QV. I am new to the performance car world. I was surprised to read that the pirelli p zero corsa tires only have a life expectancy of 10,000.

It isn't viable for me to drop $1k on tires every 10,000 miles. Have any of you changed to another tire? If so what? Has it noticeably affected performance?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:46 PM

OP's concern is legit & you're right to do your research...

Wish I had more personal experience to help you with.

I assume Michelin would have some suitable replacements if they have sizes available. I'm thinking Michelin Pilot Super Sports (or their replacements, MP4S). Call/Chat with tirerack.com representatives for ideas... I'm sure they have "Extreme Performance Summer" tire options as well. These would be similar to the OEM Pirelli's, low tread life with high grip...& cost!

Also Bridgestone RE71R on my Evo have been great, not sure about QV sizes though.

Current: Tundra, 3GT
Past: GTI, Evo VIII, Mustang, Si, Evo X
post #3 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

The stock Pirelli P Zero are a fairly soft sticky tire hence the life expectancy. The P Zero's have a hardness rating of 220 IIRC. Swapping out to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S will give you more life expectancy with roughly the same performance. The Michelins have a hardness rating of 300 for reference.

What car are you coming from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Alfaholico Send a message via MSN to Alfaholico
I was told to expect about 8000 miles from the factory Pirelli P Zero Corsas on my Quad...I just swapped them for Michelin Pilot Sport ....Very satisfied with the swap....no more lisitening to all the road debris being propelled into the rear diffuser from the Corsas....!!!

Dr. Dino Pappous
President NY Alfa Romeo Owners Club
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2017 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
1991 164 S
1964 Giulia Sprint GT

2016 Volvo V 60 R Design (SOLD !)
2012 Audi S 5 (SOLD !)
post #5 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ha...I have a Lexus ES. I am tired of it and want something fun. Every time I see one on the road it is an old lady driving it. I saw an ad for the Giulia during the Super Bowl and thought it looked nice. Now that I am looking and researching I absolutely love the QV. I can't pull the trigger until after the new year but I am very anxious for it.

I just had no idea that performance tires had such low life expectancy.
post #6 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholico View Post
I was told to expect about 8000 miles from the factory Pirelli P Zero Corsas on my Quad...I just swapped them for Michelin Pilot Sport ....Very satisfied with the swap....no more lisitening to all the road debris being propelled into the rear diffuser from the Corsas....!!!
Hey just wondering if you were able to find the exact same size tires or change it up a bit to get those Michelins
post #7 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro-Cane View Post
Ha...I have a Lexus ES. I am tired of it and want something fun. Every time I see one on the road it is an old lady driving it. I saw an ad for the Giulia during the Super Bowl and thought it looked nice. Now that I am looking and researching I absolutely love the QV. I can't pull the trigger until after the new year but I am very anxious for it.

I just had no idea that performance tires had such low life expectancy.
Kind of a big jump to go from a Lexus ES to a QV.. QV is a lot of car. Have you test driven a base or TI at all? It'll be a much better experience than your Lexus for a lot less money than a QV.
post #8 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:53 PM

Garage
What chaiguy said. I have a Ti with the 19" sports package, and it looks almost like a Quad, without the quad exhausts and carbon fiber trim pieces. The general public can't tell the difference. The 280hp engine is great for a daily driver. It's fast (I often find myself approaching 100mph on the freeway without even realizing it) and the car handles like nothing I've had before. If you've got the means and the 505hp QV is what you have your heart set on, by all means, go for it. But if it's a Giulia you want...give a Ti sport a test drive before pulling the trigger.
Vailoce and Robert Sharp like this.

John
Las Vegas, NV

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti, 19" sports package, sunroof, HK w/Nav
1991 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
post #9 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 PM

+2 to chiaguy and Alfa in Vegas. Unless you have legitimate ability to track it, the QV is much more than any road can stand. It's beautiful, fast, powerful and a fantasy come true...but a regular Giulia or Ti Giulia will give you most of that for a little over half the price. Spend some of the difference with Madness or Eurocompulsion to power it up a bit and tune the sound, the tires will last much longer (and hold just fine) and the insurance is more tolerable.

2017 Giulia, Alfa Black over Black, Sport exterior and interior, 30% tint, Plastidip'd "Giulia" in black, muffler deleted, all safety options, Jan 2017 build.
post #10 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:15 PM

For the QV the front size is available in the Michelin 4S, but the rear size is not yet available. Another person on this forum has upsized to a larger tire that is available in the 4S with good results. In regard to the OEM size for the rear, I am hopeful that Michelin will add that size by the end of the year. Fingers crossed...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in