Tires - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 76Likes

post #21 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGorilla View Post
I live between Seattle and Portland, so it's a tad bit rainy here most of the year, and I plan on changing out my QV tires as soon as I get it. Did you have any vibration or road noise issues with the Continentals?
Not all on a GT350 and a M2 this past winter/spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:18 PM

I'm planning to swap to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ around Oct 1 when Seattle enters 6 months of wet 30-50 degree weather.

About $1K from Tire Rack or Costco. Will give up a bit of sticky to have actual traction in the cold/wet.
post #23 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro-Cane View Post
Ha...I have a Lexus ES. I am tired of it and want something fun. Every time I see one on the road it is an old lady driving it. I saw an ad for the Giulia during the Super Bowl and thought it looked nice. Now that I am looking and researching I absolutely love the QV. I can't pull the trigger until after the new year but I am very anxious for it.

I just had no idea that performance tires had such low life expectancy.
The shorter tire life expectancy was a huge reservation for me prior to getting the car but have to say I find the Pirellis to me much better than the MPSS I had on my F80 M3...so much so, that I've decided to get the same exact Pirellis as stock for my replacement set. They make the car from my experience driving any where from 130MPH at 85 degrees to 100 at 15 degrees. They have really impressed me in a way that no other Pirelli or Michelin ever has before. BTW, I've got 6,500 miles on mine so far but think I can get another 6,000 miles on them.
NickF, lowlight and jamgolf like this.

2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio
Rosso Competizione/Blk w/Red Stitching, Full Xpel Ultimate (see video).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Trofeo White/Blk w/Red Stitching
2018 Alfa 4C Spider (In my garage but awaiting the Title.)
Rosso Competizione/Blk Leather
2018 Alfa Stelvio Ti Sport
Silverstone/Chocolate Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
The shorter tire life expectancy was a huge reservation for me prior to getting the car but have to say I find the Pirellis to me much better than the MPSS I had on my F80 M3...so much so, that I've decided to get the same exact Pirellis as stock for my replacement set. They make the car from my experience driving any where from 130MPH at 85 degrees to 100 at 15 degrees. They have really impressed me in a way that no other Pirelli or Michelin ever has before. BTW, I've got 6,500 miles on mine so far but think I can get another 6,000 miles on them.
The QV tires cannot be driven at temperatures below 45 degrees F. It's mentioned somewhere in the owner's manual.
post #25 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigk200 View Post
The QV tires cannot be driven at temperatures below 45 degrees F. It's mentioned somewhere in the owner's manual.
Don't believe everything you read. The second week I had my car, the temperature fell to 15 degrees when I had to drive the car to CT to deliver some M3 mods that I sold to another M3 owner from NY. Once the tires were up to operating temperature, I was able to drive in Race mode fairly aggressively without a single inch of slippage while accelerating and turning. However, after parking the car for about 15 mins, they spun like crazy out of the parking lot, but then stuck like glue again when up to temperature after another 15 mins or so of driving. A notable thing is that was even with the tires inflated to 55lbs right after the dealership delivery prep over-inflation issue. I was as impressed with the tires then as I am now 6,500 miles later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mc3456; 08-31-2017 at 08:48 AM.
post #26 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
Don't believe everything you read. The second week I had my car, the temperature fell to 15 degrees when I had to drove the car to CT to deliver some M3 mods that I sold to another M3 owner from NY. Once the tires were up to operating temperature, I was able to drive in Race mode fairly aggressively without a single inch of slippage while accelerating and turning. However, after parking the car for about 15 mins, they spun like crazy out of the parking lot, but then stuck like glue again when up to temperature after another 15 mins or so of driving. The notable thing is that was even with the tires inflated to 55lbs right after the dealership delivery prep. I was as impressed with the tires then as I am now 6,500 miles later.
I am definitely not an expert on tires or rubber compounds, but I have been led to believe that the rubber in the Corsas can crack and degrade if it is flexed below 45 degrees.
Alfaholico likes this.
post #27 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I am definitely not an expert on tires or rubber compounds, but I have been led to believe that the rubber in the Corsas can crack and degrade if it is flexed below 45 degrees.
Here is what Tirerack has to say about P-Zero Corsas by type:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=221

"It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be removed from the vehicle and stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) when not in use."

<Picture of a tire with a large crack in the tread>

Not all summer tires are this sensitive to low temperatures. Check the description of the individual model for more information.

Tirerack also says about the P-Zero Corsas:

A set for a QV Guilia is $1300, plus installation (typically about $250 for a high speed setup including disposal fees). Tax is extra.
The tires are hardness 60. Compare with the summer tires that come with the staggered setup on the 2.0T Giulia, which are hardness 220.
Alfaholico and Bash like this.

Current vehicles
1998 Case 580L series 2
1999 Mazda Protege ES
2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 2500 Cummins
2007 Kestrel Talon SL with HED-3 wheels
2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV
2017 Polaris XP900 with tracks and full cab.
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4 sport everything
Past vehicles of note
1994 WhiteGMC single axle dump
1971 Norton Commando
1964 Jaguar E-type convertible
post #28 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 05:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Alfaholico Send a message via MSN to Alfaholico
So I've got about 200 miles on my Michelin Pilot Super Sport replacement tires.....The car is significantly quieter and my rear diffuser is not longer being filled with every rock and pebble and cigarette butt on the street.....I get the Corsas for the track, but this is my daily driver and I'm in New York and winter is right around the corner....

Dr. Dino Pappous
President NY Alfa Romeo Owners Club
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2017 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
1991 164 S
1964 Giulia Sprint GT

2016 Volvo V 60 R Design (SOLD !)
2012 Audi S 5 (SOLD !)
post #29 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:59 AM

Just curious of how bad this tire performs in rain or inclimate weather under normal circumstances. Every other car I've owned with these type of high performance tires I did not drive in inclimate weather. The Quadrifoglio is my daily driver, so I don't think I will be think about the performance of these tires everytime it rains. I don't want to hydroplane and find out the hard way. Would it be worth it to switch to all season tires during the fall winter season or just leave as is?
post #30 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 08:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have a heated garage (65 degrees in Winter), and tires very quickly come up to operating temperature when driven, even in low temps. I know this because my M3 measured individual tire temperature in addition to tire pressure via the TPMS. Unfortunately, the Quadrifoglio TPMS does not provide that info. The system is likely capable of it, but the software is clearly not activated to present it on the infotainment system. Pity!

Rubber cracks when left sitting in the cold (also caused by flat spotting) and not properly conditioned/cared for. Nobody is talking about driving Corsas in the snow, just on dry weather days to exercise the car's mechanicals in a way idling can't properly do. BTW...repeatedly removing and installing ultra low profile tires destroys them even faster than cold weather does, but it's not like the Corsas would last longer than a season anyway.

There is no doubt that other tire compounds are much better for regular low temperature driving, but switching to all season tires all year round is a far more extreme compromise that will ruin the driving dynamics of the car the other 8 months of the year and completely suck during snowy driving.

Dedicated snow rims and tires are the best solution during the Winter. Dedicated Summer rims and tires are best solution during the remaining months. My solution is to just consider getting a Stelvio around November for most Winter driving situations and only run the Quadrifoglio about 10 miles or so a few times a week on dry Winter days. However YMMV!

Last edited by mc3456; 08-31-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page