Tires - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 76Likes

post #11 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro-Cane View Post

I just had no idea that performance tires had such low life expectancy.

Softer compound, greater adhesion, short life before they degrade.
Watch an F1 race. Those soft tires last only a few laps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Ha...I have a Lexus ES. I am tired of it and want something fun. Every time I see one on the road it is an old lady driving it. I saw an ad for the Giulia during the Super Bowl and thought it looked nice. Now that I am looking and researching I absolutely love the QV. I can't pull the trigger until after the new year but I am very anxious for it.

I just had no idea that performance tires had such low life expectancy.
A Giulia 2.0T will be a lot faster than your Lexus ES while not having the compromises associated with the Quadrifoglio (a.k.a. QV):

AWD available. This helps compensate for having all season tires and makes the car drivable in snow/ice.
Highway fuel economy (reported) in the 35-37MPG range. Compare with QV at 28MPG at best.
(city fuel economy is also much better than QV, roughly 20MPG versus 13MPG)
All season tires available. Compare with QV summer tires only, that can fail when exposed to temps below 40F.
Starting price around $36k versus QV at $72k.
5-6 inches of ground clearance (similar to your Lexus?) versus 4 inches with the QV.
Available sunroof, if you like that sort of thing...
Readily available at dealerships.

Less likely to have this happen on your way home from the dealership:
https://www.copart.com/lot/18520397

Note that if you get the 2.0T with "staggered wheels" you get summer tires with the corresponding short life expectancy and restricted temperature range. Summer tires have more traction than all seasons when it is warm, but the rubber turns hard or brittle at low temps. Some summer tires are not rated to even be stored on a shelf below 40F, although I think the Pirelli P-zeros do not have this restriction; just poor traction when cold.

Oh, and I think a set of tires for QV is closer to $2000 than $1000.

On the plus side for the QV:

505HP!
190MPH!
3.8sec 0 to 60MPH.
Push a button and it gets loud.
Carbon fiber bling and CF bragging rights.
More aggressive looks (this alone is enough to get some folks to buy a QV).
Better wheels standard (Tecnico). (for extra $$ you can downgrade the wheels??!!)
Better? interior.
Red start button.
Lots of stuff is standard that is not included on the base 2.0T.
Ferrari derived engine.
Exclusivity, potentially a "classic" collectible in the future.

FWIW: I have a Ti Q4 with pretty much every option except the sunroof and audio upgrade on order. I will use all season tires in the summer (where I live overnight lows are often below 40F in the summer) and snow tires in the winter.
PS82 and SterlingDriver like this.

Current vehicles
1998 Case 580L series 2
1999 Mazda Protege ES
2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 2500 Cummins
2007 Kestrel Talon SL with HED-3 wheels
2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV
2017 Polaris XP900 with tracks and full cab.
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4 sport everything
Past vehicles of note
1994 WhiteGMC single axle dump
1971 Norton Commando
1964 Jaguar E-type convertible
post #13 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigk200 View Post
For the QV the front size is available in the Michelin 4S, but the rear size is not yet available. Another person on this forum has upsized to a larger tire that is available in the 4S with good results. In regard to the OEM size for the rear, I am hopeful that Michelin will add that size by the end of the year. Fingers crossed...
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in sizes 255/35/19 and 295/30/19 work fine on the stock QV wheels as do the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 in the same size. I am going to try the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo Rat the next event in the 245/35/19 & 295/30/19 configuration, as I found this tire is actually better in the dry than the Cup 2 with similar wear on track as a previous car. Also, in the stock sizes, if you live in a wet climate, the Continental ExtremeContact tires are terrific in the stock sizes. I have used this tire on another performance vehicle in wet weather and it is an extremely controllable tire with great feedback.

It will give up some dry performance to the 4S, but makes a better wet day tire. Overall, I love the Cup 2 on this car as they perform better than the stock Corsa's and take a beating, but would not run them on anything above a damp track on track days. Until they get down to 4/32, their actually fine at highway speeds unless there is significant standing water. That said the 4S is the better overall daily tire on the car and not too bad on track, but still about 1.6 seconds slower than the Cup 2s on a 2.4m course. I will try both on a 3.1m course shortly, but expect that to grow to about a 2 second advantage.

My wildcard on a warm dry track will be the Trofeo R. It held almost a 1.3 second advantage over the Cup 2s on my GT350R, but wear was worse depending on the track, but not nearly as bad as the Corsas, even driving the car in the smoothest way possible. This car needs a lot more camber up front and really a 265/305 combo with the proper wheel width would be best on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo13 View Post
Also, in the stock sizes, if you live in a wet climate, the Continental ExtremeContact tires are terrific in the stock sizes. I have used this tire on another performance vehicle in wet weather and it is an extremely controllable tire with great feedback.
I live between Seattle and Portland, so it's a tad bit rainy here most of the year, and I plan on changing out my QV tires as soon as I get it. Did you have any vibration or road noise issues with the Continentals?
post #15 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:51 AM

I'm closing in on 12,000 miles on my Corsas and they have at least a few thousand left in them. I do a lot of highway/town driving that will have extended the life but when I get the chance I always attempt to beat the land speed record. With careful use I think 15,000 miles is practical. The real problem is the cold temperature performance that is beyond scary, anything within 10 degrees of freezing is terrifying. You can spin the wheels at over 100mph. I will be changing mine in a month or two for Michelins. I'd be really interested to hear of people's experiences of them and if there are any issues with going one size wider on the rears.
mc3456 likes this.
post #16 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 06:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Alfaholico Send a message via MSN to Alfaholico
I found the exact size tires (Michelin Pilot Sport) as the stock Corsas on Tire Rack....

Dr. Dino Pappous
President NY Alfa Romeo Owners Club
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2017 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
1991 164 S
1964 Giulia Sprint GT

2016 Volvo V 60 R Design (SOLD !)
2012 Audi S 5 (SOLD !)
post #17 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickF View Post
I'm closing in on 12,000 miles on my Corsas and they have at least a few thousand left in them. I do a lot of highway/town driving that will have extended the life but when I get the chance I always attempt to beat the land speed record. With careful use I think 15,000 miles is practical. The real problem is the cold temperature performance that is beyond scary, anything within 10 degrees of freezing is terrifying. You can spin the wheels at over 100mph. I will be changing mine in a month or two for Michelins. I'd be really interested to hear of people's experiences of them and if there are any issues with going one size wider on the rears.
That's helpful info NickF. Thanks.
post #18 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:14 PM

Test Drive a regular Giulia, you will be surprised at the performance. And in this case the stock tires will last a lot longer and will cost less to replace.

Gio / 2017 Giulia / 2001 Carrera Cab
post #19 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Hi, my first post but I have been lingering for some time. I am seriously considering a QV. I am new to the performance car world. I was surprised to read that the pirelli p zero corsa tires only have a life expectancy of 10,000.

It isn't viable for me to drop $1k on tires every 10,000 miles. Have any of you changed to another tire? If so what? Has it noticeably affected performance?

Thanks!

Cro Can I currently have a 11 Lexus ISF and looking for the QV as a replacement. I have gone through my fair share of tires on this car and I am getting about 15-25K a set depending on how hard I drive and what brand I use. I switch up DD duty between that and my Saab Viggen.
As others have mentioned the Michelins Super Sports will be a great replacement for the P-zeros and with the 4S that just came out ( better tire than the PSS's) I'm sure they may have the right size for the QV. The PSS' actually have a 40K tread warranty on them and a UTQG of 300 but they still perform well in the rain and dry payment, I beat on the ones I have on my ISF now. I ran the Potenza Re50A's and got about 20K out of those and they had a UTQG of 140 they didn't have any mileage warranty.

I know ill have to replace those Corsa's within a few months with how I drive and as much driving as I do.
lowlight likes this.
post #20 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all of the input and information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page