Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Political Ads

5K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Racer Z 
#1 ·
Why are political ads allowed such as the one that states Trump is doing away with Obamas mortgage reduction plan. Those ads are bullshit anyway.

Reactions: Sensei
#3 · (Edited)
Okay wise guy, if you have nothing to add that's worth while close your pie hole. It is a car forum not a political one.

#26 ·
I took a chance and did a search for them. To my surprise, they're to wear on one's fingers.
My dirty mind had assumed something else entirely. I'll probably start getting Goop Egg ads as punishment.

#5 ·
I think that's the OP's point. This is a car forum, we don't need political ads here. Ill bet the answer is money. Running a website costs money which is typically generated by selling ads. Well guess who is shelling out big bucks for ads these days. Thanks Trump! :rolleyes:

#6 · (Edited)
I could be wrong but I don’t think it is the forum generating specific ads. I suspect it is Google in most cases. Eg all mine are in German and most are car related. I also get quite a few for sports equipment. I suspect there is some algorithm that determines what ads one gets based on location and your internet viewing preferences. That’s why some of our friends on here get silicone ring and Ukrainian dating ads. Lol

#9 ·
The ads are served by Google and are based on your browsing history and whatever other information Google has on you. I have an ad-blocker (uBlock Origin on Google Chrome) so I don't see ads on this site, but on sites like Facebook, I get ads tailored to what I have been searching recently.

#10 ·
yeah, watch out for euro car links - I watched a swedish stelvio quad vid the other day ....
anybody else see "32 degrees in February"?

usually I'm getting ads based on my wife's shopping searches - shoes, sak's, afoalo bulbs

I quit looking at london times links, generates allkindsa weird stuff

"wrong forum" - unless you are complaining about bush putting in the stupid ethanol biofuel mandate, and are now pissed at trump because he wants to raise it to 15%.
enough with the burning food for fuel thing.

#11 ·
The forum is about cars. The advertisements along the side are not about cars and not about the forum. Whatever the advertisement is, I choose to ignore it. Yes, they're generally geared at whatever I have been researching recently. Since I don't follow politics, I don't get political advertisement. I get stuff like, bicycles, car parts, building supplies, ect... whatever I've been looking for. I don't read the side ads, I don't click on them, they are just there.

I think, if you subscribe to the forum, buy a paid subscription, the side ads get turned off. That's something you could research, maybe the political ads will get replaced with forum ads? LOL

#33 ·
Yeah but those overseas exotics are always so darn enticing. Case in point...Giulia. :wink2:

Seriously though the ads are just the lay of the land with the internet in today’s world. YOU are the product, they sell your data, browsing preferences, key words you write in your private emails and sites you visit among other things to advertisers. Someone’s gotta fill up Google and FB’s coffers and they’re happy to sell you out if you use their products for “free”...

I laugh when I do a search like bathroom vanities for example and my ads for the next few weeks are bathroom supply houses etc...

#18 ·
I didn't even realize there were ads on this site. I'm using a Mac and Google Chrome with AdBlocker enabled. I don't have a paid account so it must be AdBlocker keeping these off my radar. Maybe install it, too.

#25 ·
'Tis the season. The usual ED and Toyota ads will return after the election.

#29 ·
I was thinking that they were for sitting on. You know, help for the roids.

#32 · (Edited)
Nothing personal about it. I come to the forum to get a break from all the political nonsense that has sprouted. I just feel that this add is wrong in many ways. I would feel the same if it was bashing the left. The Forum Admin. should be able to choose thet types of ads that are on the site, whether they be political or sexual. I bet you guys would take down nude photos of a girl straddling a giulia>:) Come to think of it, let's start a naked girls of Alfa thread.

#34 ·
Nothing personal about it. I come to the forum to get a break from all the political nonsense that has sprouted. I just feel that this add is wrong in many ways. I would feel the same if it was bashing the left. The Forum Admin. should be able to choose thet types of ads that are on the site, whether they be political or sexual. I bet you guys would take down nude photos of a girl straddling a giulia>:)
If you are viewing from a laptop or desktop PC, you can use ad-blocker extensions to remove those ads. I recommend uBlock Origin

The ads you see aren't managed by the site. In fact, the ads are provided by Google and are tailored specifically to you based on your browsing history and such. So there isn't anything the site admins can do about the ads you see.

Reactions: alfa55
#35 ·
Google is the culprit, makes sense.

Reactions: Racer Z
#36 ·
And then there's my wife, who can't walk past a "Chance to Win" sign without stopping and signing up. It does not matter what it is, as long as it's free. Then she's pissed that she gets all this spam email and spam phone calls. I keep trying to tell her that all they want is her personal info so they can sell it. Either she doesn't believe me or she doesn't care. I'm always amazed at what I end up dragging home because she actually wins free stuff though. She actually won a 'white elephant' once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.