DIY, add paddle shifters. - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Raw_Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 187
(Thread Starter)
So I successfully added paddle shifters to a 17 Giulia that came without them. I cannot speak for 18+ models as they have the security gateway feature that does not allow access to the ECU.

First off the tools you will need will be a smaller 1/4 ratchet, an extension, a t20 bit and a t8 Allen style key, that's it.

Now for the first step remove the negative wire from the battery terminal and let it power down for about 5 mins.

***Do not attempt to unlug the connections with out powering down the car, by disconnecting the battery. I am not sure what will happen but I would rather not get an airbag to the face. ****

After doing so remove the two screws underneath the cowl that hold it up with the t20 bit and ratchet with extension. I bought a complete cowl off of eBay for 80 dollars, that came out of a 18 stelvio. It fits perfectly with no fitment issues. You can see from the picture the stelvio cowl on the left and the Giulia on the right. The dealer wants 50 for the bottom piece and 140 for the top piece, so I opted to buy used off eBay.

Once removed you will see 3 wires hooked up and aurther down the harness some brown tape with a connection taped off, that is for the paddle shifters. Remove the brown tape and disconnect the 3 hook ups.

Now the paddle shifter I ordered from eBay came off of a 18 Giulia and came with the switch assembly. You only need the paddle shifters themselves. So I removed the screws (keep them) and the paddle shifters them selves. The dealer said these can be ordered for 360. I have seen them as low as 125 on eBay. But be careful as they look rough and broken where the screws go. Mine however where in top notch used condition.

Once you have taken them apart you will hook them up to your car the same way you took them off the other assembly. Use the t8 Allen key on the 4 screws. Once put on, hook all of the connections back up, plugging in the taped off
connection to the paddle shifters.

Last step is putting the bottom piece of the cowl back on. And hook the negative battery terminal back up. You will have errors on the dashboard due to disconnecting the battery. So you won't have any of the nannies such as traction control for a bit. All these will go off after you drive it for a bit.

For the programming I used a registered copy of multiecuscan 4.3 paired with,

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F301626849586

And

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F271552918793

Granted you do not need all the adapters, however you do need the blue and grey to finish the proxi alignment.

From within multiecuscan choose the Giulia 2.0 turbo 16v multiair, then choose body, then choose CAN setup / PROXI alignment procedure (952).

From within the next menu choose at the top "adjustments" look for the paddle shifters adjust it to "present" and then the last step is run the proximity alignment, that is the first option on that page. Follow the on screen prompts and you'll then have paddle shifters.

Hopefully this helps someone. I take no responsibility if you screw up your car in doing this. This is just my experience in doing it in my car. Feel free to ask questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190310_061234_1552216695110.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	84574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190216_185743_1552216931775.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	84576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190216_201453_1552217124589.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	84584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190220_143541_1552217143532.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	84586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190216_185544_1552217164385.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	84588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190310-055647_1552217229007.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	84590   Click image for larger version

Name:	739587516_1552217257490.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	84592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190310-055855~2_1552217595753.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	84594   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190310_064325_1552218217840.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	84596   Click image for larger version

Name:	2tw94j_1552218313566.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	84598  


Last edited by Raw_Alfa; 03-10-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Raw_Alfa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
chaadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 2,349
Garage
Congrats; nice work!
Driven likes this.

****
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4 “Quasifoglio” (Alfa Rosso on black/tan) w/ Madness tuning suite (MaxPower Pro ECU, AutoFlash TCU, and GoPedal+ throttle), AFE GT Momentum intake, Remus axle-back exhaust
chaadster is online now  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 31
wow nice
How long did it take you to do it.

You said you got a registered copy of multiecuscan 4.3. Where do you get this?
alfa_164s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Raw_Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 187
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_164s View Post
wow nice
How long did it take you to do it.

You said you got a registered copy of multiecuscan 4.3. Where do you get this?
10-20 mins. Not much too it.

https://www.multiecuscan.net/

Cost is 50 dollars for a copy.
Tippster and alfa_164s like this.
Raw_Alfa is online now  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw_Alfa View Post
So I successfully added paddle shifters to a 17 Giulia that came without them. I cannot speak for 18+ models as they have the security gateway feature that does not allow access to the ECU.

First off the tools you will need will be a smaller 1/4 ratchet, an extension, a t20 bit and a t8 Allen style key, that's it.

Now for the first step remove the negative wire from the battery terminal and let it power down for about 5 mins.

***Do not attempt to unlug the connections with out powering down the car, by disconnecting the battery. I am not sure what will happen but I would rather not get an airbag to the face. ****

After doing so remove the two screws underneath the cowl that hold it up with the t20 bit and ratchet with extension. I bought a complete cowl off of eBay for 80 dollars, that came out of a 18 stelvio. It fits perfectly with no fitment issues. You can see from the picture the stelvio cowl on the left and the Giulia on the right. The dealer wants 50 for the bottom piece and 140 for the top piece, so I opted to buy used off eBay.

Once removed you will see 3 wires hooked up and aurther down the harness some brown tape with a connection taped off, that is for the paddle shifters. Remove the brown tape and disconnect the 3 hook ups.

Now the paddle shifter I ordered from eBay came off of a 18 Giulia and came with the switch assembly. You only need the paddle shifters themselves. So I removed the screws (keep them) and the paddle shifters them selves. The dealer said these can be ordered for 360. I have seen them as low as 125 on eBay. But be careful as they look rough and broken where the screws go. Mine however where in top notch used condition.

Once you have taken them apart you will hook them up to your car the same way you took them off the other assembly. Use the t8 Allen key on the 4 screws. Once put on, hook all of the connections back up, plugging in the taped off
connection to the paddle shifters.

Last step is putting the bottom piece of the cowl back on. And hook the negative battery terminal back up. You will have errors on the dashboard due to disconnecting the battery. So you won't have any of the nannies such as traction control for a bit. All these will go off after you drive it for a bit.

For the programming I used a registered copy of multiecuscan 4.3 paired with,

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F301626849586

And

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F271552918793

Granted you do not need all the adapters, however you do need the blue and grey to finish the proxi alignment.

From within multiecuscan choose the Giulia 2.0 turbo 16v multiair, then choose body, then choose CAN setup / PROXI alignment procedure (952).

From within the next menu choose at the top "adjustments" look for the paddle shifters adjust it to "present" and then the last step is run the proximity alignment, that is the first option on that page. Follow the on screen prompts and you'll then have paddle shifters.

Hopefully this helps someone. I take no responsibility if you screw up your car in doing this. This is just my experience in doing it in my car. Feel free to ask questions.

Do you know the part number for JUST the paddles not the entire column switch and upper, lower cowl parts? THANKS.

Last edited by beta2alfa; 03-10-2019 at 01:02 PM.
beta2alfa is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Raw_Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 187
(Thread Starter)
Ido not, but I assume the dealer could look them up easily for you.
Raw_Alfa is online now  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Torino, Italy
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta2alfa View Post
Do you know the part number for JUST the paddles not the entire column switch and upper, lower cowl parts? THANKS.
There isn't one. Alfa does not supply the paddles on their own. As for the cowl, you only need to change the lower half (or you can Dremel™ out the holes on your own).
markinmad likes this.

Last edited by MacGeek; 03-10-2019 at 03:14 PM.
MacGeek is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
Racer Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Venice, CA, USA
Posts: 2,989
Nice write and thanks for doing this.

You said, "First off the tools you will need will be a smaller 1/4 ratchet, an extension, a t20 bit and a t8 Allen style key, that's it."

The T20 and T8 tool is more correctly called 'Torx'. T20 is the size. This was originally designed for use with robot assembly.


Racer Z
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C 015/500
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q2
Racer Z is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:05 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeek View Post
There isn't one. Alfa does not supply the paddles on their own. As for the cowl, you only need to change the lower half (or you can Dremel™ out the holes on your own).

So do you know the part number for the Lower Cowl Part and the part number for the cheapest Steering Column Switch with the paddles? I really appreciate the support knowledge you give the forum, THANKS.

beta2alfa is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: MA
Posts: 556
Great post!
inikkor is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome