DIY, add paddle shifters. - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 18Likes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta2alfa View Post
Thank you for the part numbers, I am also looking for the screws that hold the paddles to the steering column. Just wondering if anyone knows how to obtain them.

For the people who have worked with the original screws, is this what they look like as in length?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190407_125154.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	85480  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the part numbers, I am also looking for the screws that hold the paddles to the steering column. Just wondering if anyone knows how to obtain them.

For the people who have worked with the original screws, is this what they look like as in length?
I may have some extras at home I can see and let you know
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:33 AM

Be careful regarding sheet metal screws like this used in Giulia. Very similar number size and metric size screws exist, but have different thread pitches and slightly different diameters. I know this is an issue for the 3 screws that hold the diverter valve to the intake tube. In that case the screws are metric size and pitch. If you hunt online for metric sheet metal screws you will mostly get hits on number size screws that have had their dimensions converted to metric, even if the seller is in Europe.

Also beware of starting such screws into a pre-threaded hole. The threads on the screw are sharp and will dig in and cut new threads in the hole weakening it if you do not carefully and gently align the screw and hole threads first. Of course "cross threading" is always a risk with any thread engagement, but with a metal sheet metal screw engaging plastic it is exceptionally easy to cross thread.

Current vehicles
1998 Case 580L series 2
1999 Mazda Protege ES
2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 2500 Cummins
2007 Kestrel Talon SL with HED-3 wheels
2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV
2017 Polaris XP900 with tracks and full cab.
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4 sport everything
Past vehicles of note
1994 WhiteGMC single axle dump
1971 Norton Commando
1964 Jaguar E-type convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just a heads up, the folks over at euro compulsion have a sgw bypass over on there website that can bypass the security feature thus allowing the use of multiecuscan.

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/colle...a-stelvio-2-0l

Not 100% sure adding the paddles now to a 18+ works. But it's worth the shot.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old Today, 05:24 PM

Do the paddles themselves seem relatively easy to remove from the assembly? I would really like to have a custom set made that aren't a bright silver... but I haven't had the opportunity to look at one of the assemblies myself yet.

Current: 2016 Porsche GT4
Previous: 2017 Trofeo White QV, 2016 BMW M2, 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2008 BMW M3 (coupe), 2007 BMW 335i (coupe), 1997 BMW M3, 1995 BMW 318ti
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old Today, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwillingham View Post
Do the paddles themselves seem relatively easy to remove from the assembly? I would really like to have a custom set made that aren't a bright silver... but I haven't had the opportunity to look at one of the assemblies myself yet.
I didn't tear them apart myself. But a carbon fiber set would be bitchen.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old Today, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw_Alfa View Post

Can you run it by the person who handled your assembly if they think the paddles could easily be removed/swapped? If so I'm going to buy a spare assembly once I get my next QV and start getting some measurements for replacement paddles

Previous: 2017 Trofeo White QV, 2016 BMW M2, 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2008 BMW M3 (coupe), 2007 BMW 335i (coupe), 1997 BMW M3, 1995 BMW 318ti
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old Today, 10:13 PM

Garage
I confirmed my 2018 base Giulia (build date late 2017) also has the shifter connector taped off under the shroud/cowl. Ordered a used set of paddles (attached to wiper stalks and clockspring that I don’t need) off of a junkyard ‘19 stelvio for $330. Will install this weekend. Also, I believe only the lower shroud needs to be replace (or altered) for the shifters to fit, so I ordered the lower half from my dealer for $47.

Also, the dealer parts guy couldn’t find the part numbers for the paddles at first, and even when he did it was only for the whole assembly with clock spring for $500+ at cost and said he called a Mopar parts guy that told him this couldn’t be done. When I told him guys here have done it he was saying maybe it was because they didn’t have the base model (which Raw_Alfa does), they just don’t know. I’ll show them it worked once I’m done so they will be more informed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B307EB0-8848-49F1-B0B4-C802F0ECEA3F_1558577535965.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	86928  

2018 Giulia Q4, Alfa White, Sun Roof, 8.8" Nav, Cold Weather Package
Additions:
  • Full Front Llumar PPF
  • 15% 3M Tint
  • Alfa Script Puddle Lights Front
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old Today, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwillingham View Post
Quote:

Can you run it by the person who handled your assembly if they think the paddles could easily be removed/swapped? If so I'm going to buy a spare assembly once I get my next QV and start getting some measurements for replacement paddles
I meant I didn't tear apart the actual paddles. I did the install. I'm sure someone somewhere could make new paddles to match up.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old Today, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I meant I didn't tear apart the actual paddles. I did the install. I'm sure someone somewhere could make new paddles to match up.

Gotcha. Do you have any more photos of the assembly from any other angles?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page