Interior plastic scratches - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Interior plastic scratches

Anybody have an idea how to remove scratches on the flat black plastic trim around the shifter/volume knob/options/menu buttons? I got a scratch on my "option" button.

It has no depth to it, its just on the surface, I have a new car with 100 miles and knew instantly from the test drive that it would get marked up easily, but not this soon.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45041844_802200160111826_6140964469116764160_n.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	79250  

Last edited by davidg; 10-31-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
here is an image it's hard to get on camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45041844_802200160111826_6140964469116764160_n.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	79252  

Last edited by davidg; 10-31-2018 at 03:19 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 01:12 PM

In my experience any attempt to get rid of these just makes them worse. Try not to get hung up on little things like this and enjoy the car for what it is. Eventually you might be able to source a salvage replacement if it bothers you too much.
Chicago likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnm View Post
In my experience any attempt to get rid of these just makes them worse. Try not to get hung up on little things like this and enjoy the car for what it is. Eventually you might be able to source a salvage replacement if it bothers you too much.
I figured, I thought maybe someone who detailed knew a trick.. anyways thank you
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Depending on the exact material, I've had luck with something as simple as going over the scratch with a black sharpie. It's not going to "remove" the scratch, but it will often mask it pretty well by covering up the "light" exposed edge of the scratch. Just be careful not to catch the word "option" on there. Option B (and I'm poking fun at the community here) is to cover it with an Alfa Romeo sticker.

2017 Giulia QV - Rosso Competizione
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:51 AM

How about replacing the button?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:40 AM

I think the black sharpie method will make things worse (sorry Shiny_side_up). Because of the reflectiveness of the marker “ink” and the actual dye that they use, it tends to come out more purple and more shiny than the black surface you are working with, in this case a black satin or semi gloss finish. Matte or satin finishes are hard to repair in general, and it is hard to get a sense of the scratch from the photo. If it has no depth to it, as you say, it may be less of a scratch (which usually by definition is a cut into a surface) and perhaps a line where the otherwise satin finish has been made smoother and more shiny. Fixing satin finishes can be tricky. Add to that the fact that the mark goes through a painted/printed word, and a complete fix MAY be difficult (again, hard to tell when not looking at it in person). In my opinion, less is more as you can definitely make it look worse. It is subtle, so I would start with light rubbing with a soft cloth and some mild interior cleaner to see if it alters it at all. If not, you could try very light (with an emphasis on light) brushing with a soft bristled brush to see if it disrupts the surface enough to make it less shiny and more satin again. The question is, are the pores of the surface destroyed or have they been filled in / covered over with another material? If covered over, sometimes light brushing with a soft pencil eraser can help if you can avoid making the rest of it shiny and avoid removing the painted lettering. The softer the eraser the better. As others have said, you could replace the button. You could also show it to a professional detailer and see if they have ideas.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 05:25 AM

I agree with above; any effort and you're liable to make it worse given the type of matte finish it is and the lettering nearby. A general answer is however that to remove a scratch one needs to polish down the surface to the level of the scratch. On plastics a polishing compound will work. I've used jeweler's rouge (which polishes metals) on plastics with great results. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive and can be a good starting manouver. So is/are some chrome polishers. All of these will leave residue in cracks (hard to deal with on a "button"). The big problem is that the surface will undoubtedly wind up more shiny then it is now and reproducing the matte then becomes the next problem. Again with this scratch leave it alone. If it was elsewhere I'd suggest trying....
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 05:32 AM

Garage
I’d replace the car
MINIME and speedd like this.

- 2017 Montecarlo Blue RWD Giulia Ti Lusso Light Wood Pkg, Madness GoPedal+, Infotainment Ver. 002.009.059
- 1974 Triumph TR6
- 2012 Audi Q5
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Maybe a magic eraser? The thing is really just an open cell foam so it's like 20,000 grit sand paper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page