Interior plastic scratches - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:24 PM

I agree with most other members that anything you do will make it shiny and not match the flat appearance. Furthermore any kind of polish will tend to get into the gaps around the button, making an impossible to clean up mess. If you try to tape it off you will end up with a shiny spot on the button.

The best bet is to just live with it.

If that is not acceptable, replace it. Unfortunately, I suspect that button top is part of a larger module and that the entire $$$ module would have to be replaced. You might be able to find a used one at a wrecking yard. Be sure to get the service manual for instructions on how to get the module out and back in without breaking anything.

Last ditch effort would be to polish both buttons to match. Plastic polishes exist; do not use metal polishes on plastic as the metal polish may contain chemicals that attack plastic. To get a clean result you will probably still need to remove the module before working on the buttons.

BTW: what use is that OPTION button? It seems to just jump to menu items that are the same as what I can get at with the MENU button.

Current vehicles
1998 Case 580L series 2
1999 Mazda Protege ES
2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 2500 Cummins
2007 Kestrel Talon SL with HED-3 wheels
2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV
2017 Polaris XP900 with tracks and full cab.
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4 sport everything
Past vehicles of note
1994 WhiteGMC single axle dump
1971 Norton Commando
1964 Jaguar E-type convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you everyone for your input, I just came to this car after owning an S2000 and I've had my fair share of trying to get things perfect.
I am definitely not going to replace a button on a new car, which could potentially consist of buying the entire unit, not worth it, at this point at least.

I'll attempt to rub some sort of compound that I find after some research, but not on the button, I'll wait until something else shows up on the nearby surfaces that have more surface area to work with.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:28 AM

I use Novus 1 and 2, sometimes 3 for my pinball machine plastics and playfield-and it's magical. I start with 1 and move up, as needed. I'd be a bit nervous using on my car but if youre looking for a fine scratch/polish compound...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:23 AM

Good luck. In some other cars the buttons could be replaced and I remember a thread where someone made a special set of silkscreened buttons with different symbols including one implying an ejector seat. Now that could be your solution - or just another quadrifoglio emblem splashed about the cabin....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QtrItalian View Post
Good luck. In some other cars the buttons could be replaced and I remember a thread where someone made a special set of silkscreened buttons with different symbols including one implying an ejector seat. Now that could be your solution - or just another quadrifoglio emblem splashed about the cabin....
As someone new to this brand I'm honestly appalled on how much people on these forums love to stick/wrap/modify their Giulias with eBay stuff, it's just tacky.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAlfa View Post
I use Novus 1 and 2, sometimes 3 for my pinball machine plastics and playfield-and it's magical. I start with 1 and move up, as needed. I'd be a bit nervous using on my car but if youre looking for a fine scratch/polish compound...
I'm seeing good reviews on this product, I'm assuming novus 1 is less aggressive than novus 3 for example?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
I'm seeing good reviews on this product, I'm assuming novus 1 is less aggressive than novus 3 for example?

Hi there...apologies for missing this earlier but yes, that's right. If I'm nervous, I start low and work up to the higher compound. I'll just jump right to #2 if I'm using to freshen up a cd/dvd or a family member's headlight covers (restores those very well).
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:06 PM

You could try a magic eraser gently. I have had success with this, but on more textured plastic interior areas.
It’s a high risk area for scratches, so I would try to live with it.
VictorByFar likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:00 PM

Scuffs and scratches are part of ownership of cars. If it gets worse then agree you should replace but 100 miles and you are very worried it seems. I was like that before I had kids and my parents got older . Now I just put my foot down, look ahead with a

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page