EZ-Pass transponder - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
EZ-Pass transponder

This may not be something that bothers anyone else or you already have a solution that works for you like holding it up when you go through a toll. Or a license plate mount, but being in a state that doesn't require a front plate I didn't want to go that route.

I don't like seeing the back of the EZ-Pass transponder on the windshield from the outside of the car when its in the classic hiding spot behind the rearview mirror. For me this is compounded in the Giulia because this space is already used by the built in camera and wiper sensor. I also don't like seeing it on the dash or even the reflection in causes in the windshield, hopefully other people are less OCD about this.

The best option I have found is https://mypasscover.myshopify.com which I really like but has a couple of issues.
First their Alfa Romeo Giulia fabric option is the leather used for the premium dash, so people like me that didn't pay for that can't get an exact match.
Second the cover is designed to be exactly the same dimensions as the transponder which means if its on a sloping part of the dash the cover strap that goes under the transponder holds it off the dash and in some positions you will see a gap and the velcro holding it down. This can at least partially be addressed by swapping the velcro that comes on the transponder with the much thinner stuff supplied with the cover.

The picture is of one of the newer smaller i-Pass transponders with one of the older larger square EZ-pass covers in Alfa Romeo leather on a vinyl dash. The flash for the picture highlights the difference in texture, in daylight its less apparent. On the upside it sits behind the inspection stickers so does't obscure any view but still allows a windshield sun shade to be used when parked. The larger cover also tips the edge facing me and the gap disappears completely. There is no reflection in the windshield and the EZ-pass is invisible from outside the car. Finally most importantly there is absolutely no problem with the EZ-Pass working through the cover and the Giulia windshield. I was initially worried that there was but it turned out that the battery in my probably 10 year old transponder had run down.

This is an option to make the transponder less visible and the company has been responsive to my emails, even doing a trip to an Alfa Romeo dealer to see whether they had a better fabric match for the non leather dash.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mypasscover.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	22193  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Garage
In MA ours come with clear locking comb patches like velcro. I keep mine in the glove compartment and mount it on trips, pull when not needed. They are cheesy white plastic but not a big deal since I don't drive on toll roads much.
Max likes this.

2000 Mazda Miata, "Baby Beast" Boost, mods, maybe track car.
1994 Ferrari 348 Spider "Testarossina" Gone but not forgotten
2004 Ferrari 360 Spider, CS TCU, OZ Superleggera IIIs, "Rossina 2"
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad. Ord 6/2 Blt 7/21 Arr USA 11/22 Dlr 12/19 Sign 12/21 Pkup/PPF/Tint 12/29 Home 12/30 Forza Ctlr 2/19 RFnder PPF 4/9 New tires 4/20,6/26 Ti ctr caps 4/26 Dlr rf wheel 6/1 Cust Cer Brks 10/4 Trkl Chrg 11/11 Mflps 12/28 OZ Wintrs+shims 2/18
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"La Signora" Giulia
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Thanks for your post...I had no idea such covers exist but will now be ordering one. I was stumped as to where to mount the transponder so the best location I found was to the right of the windshield camera pod. The covered dashboard mount will be a nice improvement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Vendor

Garage
Mine is spray-painted Black so it disappears into the sun shade gradient.
Rossonero3 likes this.

- Alfa Romeo 4C & Giulia Performance Parts
InstaGram:

Facebook:

Alfa Romeo Giulia QV: 603hp EURO+DRIVE Phase 1 / Sprint Drop-in Filter & More
Alfa Romeo 4C: Advanced Development @ Eurocompulsion O.K.
Volvo V60 PoleStar: 367hp and two car seats
Volvo XC90 PoleStar Optimized: Kid Hauler

"An empty change Jar always makes the most Noise"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This may not be something that bothers anyone else or you already have a solution that works for you like holding it up when you go through a toll. Or a license plate mount, but being in a state that doesn't require a front plate I didn't want to go that route.

I don't like seeing the back of the EZ-Pass transponder on the windshield from the outside of the car when its in the classic hiding spot behind the rearview mirror. For me this is compounded in the Giulia because this space is already used by the built in camera and wiper sensor. I also don't like seeing it on the dash or even the reflection in causes in the windshield, hopefully other people are less OCD about this.

The best option I have found is https://mypasscover.myshopify.com which I really like but has a couple of issues.
First their Alfa Romeo Giulia fabric option is the leather used for the premium dash, so people like me that didn't pay for that can't get an exact match.
Second the cover is designed to be exactly the same dimensions as the transponder which means if its on a sloping part of the dash the cover strap that goes under the transponder holds it off the dash and in some positions you will see a gap and the velcro holding it down. This can at least partially be addressed by swapping the velcro that comes on the transponder with the much thinner stuff supplied with the cover.

The picture is of one of the newer smaller i-Pass transponders with one of the older larger square EZ-pass covers in Alfa Romeo leather on a vinyl dash. The flash for the picture highlights the difference in texture, in daylight its less apparent. On the upside it sits behind the inspection stickers so does't obscure any view but still allows a windshield sun shade to be used when parked. The larger cover also tips the edge facing me and the gap disappears completely. There is no reflection in the windshield and the EZ-pass is invisible from outside the car. Finally most importantly there is absolutely no problem with the EZ-Pass working through the cover and the Giulia windshield. I was initially worried that there was but it turned out that the battery in my probably 10 year old transponder had run down.

This is an option to make the transponder less visible and the company has been responsive to my emails, even doing a trip to an Alfa Romeo dealer to see whether they had a better fabric match for the non leather dash.

Alan
I always wondered, but never tried this.
What if you were to keep the EZPass transponder in the glove box or door panel pocket, or console cubby, or clipped under the dash...
Would it still work?

AlfaAndy
2018 Giulia Ti Q4 Lusso, ordered 07-2017, arrived 11-2017, Xpel ppf and Opti Coat ceramic coating.
Eurocompulsion ECU tune and intake tube
1986 Spider Graduate
1974 Giulia GTV
1974 Giulia Spider
Dozens of 60's 70's 80's and 90's Alfas owned and driven and flipped.
Member Alfa Romeo Owners Club
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Weren't they going to start scanning plates in September?

Q4 Ti Sport, Rosso Competizione
EC Phase2 Tune
Centerline Corsa Exhaust, V2 Intake
Ceramic Coat with Clear Track Package
Carbon Fiber Wrap on lower Front, Rear and Side Rockers
Yamato Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Ducati Diavel Black Stealth
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa55 View Post
Weren't they going to start scanning plates in September?
What do you mean?
Nationwide?
Certain states?

AlfaAndy
2018 Giulia Ti Q4 Lusso, ordered 07-2017, arrived 11-2017, Xpel ppf and Opti Coat ceramic coating.
1986 Spider Graduate
1974 Giulia GTV
1974 Giulia Spider
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaAndy View Post
I always wondered, but never tried this.
What if you were to keep the EZPass transponder in the glove box or door panel pocket, or console cubby, or clipped under the dash...
Would it still work?
nope
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM

MA scans/sends bill now if no EZpass, same with NH,
NH offers a discount with transponder/EZpass account, not sure if MA offers discount.

My transponders are 10 yrs old... about time to replace since batteries can't be renewed.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa908 View Post
nope
How about rear window (back light)?

AlfaAndy
1986 Spider Graduate
1974 Giulia GTV
1974 Giulia Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page