Dealer closed - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Dealer closed

Kelly Alfa Romeo/Maserati in Danvers, MA closed without notice to customers about a month or so ago. I was shocked to pull up the dealership one day to see signs on the doors stating that it was closed, and even more shocked that customers were not notified. Unfortunately, the next closest dealer would make any warranty work an all day affair. With one year left on my lease, I will look to get out of it as soon as possible. Very disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 AM

Garage
In the end, dealers are franchisees of the brand and there is little Alfa or anyone can do to ensure the level of service or commitment will be there. The closure was likely because of financial reasons if it was that abrupt and that means they likely have a lot bigger issue instead of mailing "Going out of business" notes to let people know they are closing.

I had a similar experience with one of my Subarus. I bought it from a dealer down south and they changed hands. The prior dealer offered a free year of service with the purchase of the car but the new dealer refused to honor it...explaining one of the reasons they had to sell is because they were losing money on all the free service.

It sucks but at least you do have another dealer. If they aren't playing ball, reach out to Alfa Care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Guilia Q4
2013 Vespa LX 150
1968 Vespa Sprint
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 AM

I got my AR/Stelvio also from Kelly, just like @jstelly . As @Vesparider stated, I believe Kelly was not financially strong to compete/could not move enough cars, when compared with the mammoth Herb Chamber dealerships. I dealt with both. Kelly gave me a $7500 discount. HC $9000. When I went back to Kelly, they reluctantly matched HC's price. I also got more money for my X3 trade from HC, which again kelly matched. I had my ACC recall done at HCs last week. Very nice to deal with. Very professional. Their parking lot is absolutely full of very high end vehicles, Bentleys, Lambos, Maseratis, and Alfas. Kelly (Danvers, MA) was 30 min from home, 60 min from work. HC (Wayland, MA) is 30 min from work, 60 min from home so OK for me.
mc3456 likes this.

TI Lusso 22X-Trofeo tri-coat white/crema-Assist Pckgs-SR-8.8" 3D Nav-HK-20" wheels-Apple CP. Arte e prestazione Italiane

Last edited by Gator1; 04-15-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
The local paper in Bakersfield CA reports that the local Maserati and Alfa Romeo Bakersfield, CA closed earlier this year. Mo Hosseini, director of operations, said the group halted sales of the Italian brands at the end of January because they were not profitable."Unfortunately (it) wasn't very successful," he said. He also said the lot where Maserati and Alfa Romeo brands were being displayed sold only eight to 10 vehicles per month. Hopefully, this doesn't happen elsewhere.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:22 PM

It happened to me also a couple of months ago. My dealer shutdown permanently without any notice. No problem at all. I went to another and better dealer and they are clearly happy to get me there as a client. Giulia and the joy to own it and drive it is much bigger than a simple dealer shutdown, even if that would represent a whole day affair.

Giuliano, 2018 Giulia Ti Q4 w/Ti Performance Pkg.
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM

FCA corporate is as much a salesman to the (prospective) dealers as the dealers are to the consumer. I'm sure dealers were told that, if they invested $$$ to sign up, Alfas would be flying out the showroom doors. Reality is another matter. We can only hope that the ones closing down are the ones not worth having opened in the first place.
mc3456 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Gator1, glad to hear that HC is good to deal with. You are fortunate that the distances were equal for you. For me, Kelly was 5 minutes from work, 10 minutes from home. HC will be about 50 min from work and 45 from home, depending on traffic... could be longer, so NOT looking forward to that. With no dealer on the North Shore, I unfortunately will be done with Alfa when my lease is up. I do feel that Kelly could have made the effort to notify customers. They have a large network of other brands up here, and I can easily now justify buying from a different group.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 AM

Agree @jstelly . Boston area traffic is horrible (as in any big metropolitan area). The closer you are to your destination, the better it is. Hope your next vehicle brand has a dealer(s) close to where you are.

TI Lusso 22X-Trofeo tri-coat white/crema-Assist Pckgs-SR-8.8" 3D Nav-HK-20" wheels-Apple CP. Arte e prestazione Italiane
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM

Garage
Live 3 miles from Alfa of Boston in Wayland and get all my service done there despite having a very high labor rate. BTW...Alfa of Millbury has a $25/hour less expensive shop labor rate than Alfa of Boston, but not familiar with the quality of their service...yet. Have bought two of my Alfas from Kelly, one from Central Alfa, and a fourth from a private party (originally from Alfa of Boston). Lastly, Chambers is building a new Alfa/Maserati dealership on Soldiers Field Road in Brighton, right next door to the Acura dealership and on the site of the former Martignetti Liquors. Though not much closer to Danvers, still a nice commitment to the brand and better location for appealing to their target demographic.

2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio
Rosso Competizione/Blk w/Red Stitching, Full Xpel Ultimate (see video).

2018 Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Trofeo White/Blk w/Red Stitching
2018 Alfa 4C Spider (Incoming)
Rosso Competizione/Blk Leather
2018 Alfa Stelvio Ti Sport
Silverstone/Chocolate Brown
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

Thanks @mc3456 . Good to know about the new location in Brighton. Not surprised about the higher labor rate. My non-quad Stelvio is definitely at the bottom of the totem pole with the Bentleys, Lambos, Maseratis and the QVs/QFs. Maybe they will give me a discount...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page