Pondering which Giulia to buy....Thoughts - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Pondering which Giulia to buy....Thoughts

Hi all
Really my first post. I have driven a Stelvio I4 and Giulia I4 and they are a kick to drive.
But (don't laugh)I've also driven a Honda 2.0 Touring loaded model. The Honda actually has more amenities than the standard Giulia.
And performance is quite good with the 10 speed auto even with less horsepower.
To me the real find is the Giulia Quadrifoglio. But out of my budget and as a 510 hp car driving in Los Angeles? (I know I got blown off of Wilshire Blvd. the other night by a Ferrari.)
I wish there were an in between V6 .....say 350 HP with a fold down rear seat, moon roof and the Quad-style suspension tuning and exhausts.
Kinda like the Corvette Grand Sport using Z06 pieces minus the huge Horsepower. or an SS Camaro 1LE in leu of the ZL1 .
And yes I need the fold-down rear seat! Has this been discussed? And yes I'm seeing more and more Giulias and Stelvios on the LA highways in LA every day!
Great forum BTW!
Take care,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:58 PM

I have a 2018 Honda Accord 1.5T 6M and it has been the biggest piece of crap I've ever bought. I am still working on replacing it with a Giulia.

If you like to drive your cars hard, the FWD characteristics of the Accord will not be very pleasing!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:16 AM

I thought the 2019 Quad had fold down seats.

Anyway, check the Ti Sport seats and compare to the Lusso. Then research packages from there.

2018 Ti Sport RWD EC P1

2018 Giulia Ti Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well yes they DO have fold-down seats....a running change started mid 2018.
My salesman was misinformed.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Your biggest bang for the buck is a BASE Giulia with the SPORT package. Love mine and would recommend to anyone. Base seats are great, has most of the bells and whistles. Mine doesn't have lane departure and adaptive cruise control but I really don't need them. MSRP was $44k and I purchased out the door including sales taxes for $38k.
BalooSD likes this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Honestly:

Accord, Pros: Higher reliability, wide dealer network, more included features, softer ride, quieter, best resale. Cons: Numb steering, anonymous styling, higher theft risk.

Giulia, Pros: Excellent handling, much superior ride (and the DNA options), better safety suite when upgraded, stylish and individual. Cons: Look at me styling, lack of some features, weak dealer network, weak resale.

2017 Giulia, Alfa Black over Black, Sport exterior and interior, 30% tint, Plastidip'd "Giulia" in black, muffler deleted, all safety options, Jan 2017 build.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaRomeo2018 View Post
Your biggest bang for the buck is a BASE Giulia with the SPORT package. Love mine and would recommend to anyone. Base seats are great, has most of the bells and whistles. Mine doesn't have lane departure and adaptive cruise control but I really don't need them. MSRP was $44k and I purchased out the door including sales taxes for $38k.

The best seats are highly subjective.

I just had a loaner base Giulia with the sport exterior and base interior while my Ti Sport was in 30k service. So the the loaner had the base seats, and I really disliked them. They offer very little support and there is at least 1.5", if not more like 2", less headroom with the base seat vs the sport seat. Both the base loaner and my Giulia have the sunroof, and in the loaner with the base seat I had about a finger width of space between the top of my head and the sunroof surround with the base seat in the lowest position. In my Giulia with the sport seats, I have at least 2" of space here in my normal seating position. In fact, on track days, I'm still able to put on an SA2015 spec helmet and have just a bit of clearance to the sunroof surround in my Giulia. No way that would happen with the base seats, as I barely have any room without a helmet.

I love the sport seats, they have a break-in period to get the bolsters to be a little more conformable, especially on the base of the seat (the back side bolsters were OK from new). But they're very supportive and secure feeling in spirited driving. While with the base seat, even in normal driving, my body would want to shift enough to make the difference instantly noticeable to me. I'm 6'2" and 220lbs.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkcity View Post
Hi all
Really my first post. I have driven a Stelvio I4 and Giulia I4 and they are a kick to drive.
But (don't laugh)I've also driven a Honda 2.0 Touring loaded model. The Honda actually has more amenities than the standard Giulia.
And performance is quite good with the 10 speed auto even with less horsepower.
To me the real find is the Giulia Quadrifoglio. But out of my budget and as a 510 hp car driving in Los Angeles? (I know I got blown off of Wilshire Blvd. the other night by a Ferrari.)
I wish there were an in between V6 .....say 350 HP with a fold down rear seat, moon roof and the Quad-style suspension tuning and exhausts.
Kinda like the Corvette Grand Sport using Z06 pieces minus the huge Horsepower. or an SS Camaro 1LE in leu of the ZL1 .
And yes I need the fold-down rear seat! Has this been discussed? And yes I'm seeing more and more Giulias and Stelvios on the LA highways in LA every day!
Great forum BTW!
Take care,
Jay
I can't make any sense out of your priorities; on the one hand, you are satisfied with Accord performance but then pine for a 350hp Giulia and the Quadrifoglio sound and handling... You're all over the place, yet don't seem to value the primary Giulia attributes, so I really don't know what you're looking for or asking from us.

So, what I'll say to you here is that a Stelvio or Giulia can be easily modified, for under $2k, to offer more power and more aggressive sounds.

For example, look at Madness Autoworks' MaxPower Pro and Ragazzon axle-back offerings for Stelvio: https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-Al...-upgrades-cid3

While the power ratings are not at 350hp, I run MaxPower Pro on a Giulia and it really improves vehicle competence and transforms the car. I've got a Dragy verified 4.3sec 0-60mph, which is currently the quickest proven 2.0L 0-60 on the forum, so the tune works. I've also got an AFE intake and Remus axle-back exhaust, both of which add satisfying sounds otherwise absent in the stock car.

Again, if you're satisfied with Accord then you should find a tuned Giulia stunning.

'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4 “Quasifoglio” (Alfa Rosso on black/tan) w/ Madness tuning suite (MaxPower Pro ECU, AutoFlash TCU, and GoPedal+ throttle), AFE GT Momentum intake, Remus axle-back exhaust
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
It’s an odd bag of attributes tbh.

Ok. We’ve all been there.

How about an E90 M3? Sounds epic, four doors with folding rear seats, cheap (looking on autotrader in the uk they are circa £20k, so what, $25k plus / minus?) and apparently great to drive. 0-60 in 4,7 seconds so quicker than a base Giulia, you’re getting a V8 that sounds very special and it’s apparently very tuneable. AND it’s interesting And a talking point. You can be like “nah, I considered an M3 comp, Giulia QV, but you know I just needed eight cylinders, they don’t make cars like this anymore, it was this or an accord, it was a tough choice because they’re so similar, etc, etc.”

So a lot of car for the money, practical, fast and has character and heritage.

Or an Audi RS4 estate? Or a late 90s V8 jag (XJ).

Last edited by PS82; 04-07-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:27 PM

If you actually did a real test drive of each and still not sure...buy the Honda.

chaadster and Giuliano like this.

2018 ALFA ROMEO GIULIA TI SPORT AWD
Rosso Competizione
Ti Sport Performance Package
Remus Axleback Exhaust

98 Jeep Wrangler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in