LRP May 17th - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
LRP May 17th

I just registered for my first ever track day! Lime Rock Park on May 17 with Patroon BMW.

Hope to see some of you there.

I bought a Bell M8 helmet but I'm open to any other tips/suggestions/preparations, such as if I need insurance or not.

I'll be running on stock corsas and breaks with 7k miles on them.

Thanks!
lowlight likes this.

2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio: Forza Controller, Centerline X-Pipe, Sprint Filter
MDH: 7/31/17 | MV: 053.001.004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:26 PM

LRP is very left heavy track where you put most of stress to drivers side.
make sure you do proper cooling laps for last few laps of session.
i've seen way too many idiots just pull out w/o cooling lap and end up w/ warped rotors.

after no-name straight to the the uphill, make sure your steering wheel is straight going uphill as w/ enough speed, car will go slightly airborne and turned steering wheel will cause you to lose traction.
last corner on the downhill, careful not to brake or sudden lift off of gas as you can easily fly off to wall past the grass area especially if it's wet.

got lazy and didn't take any more videos since but here is clip from LRP few years ago w/ F-Type.
i got walked by 991 Turbo S like i was standing still lol
360CS try not to let me pass but eventually he does.
https://youtu.be/BUp7Tt7bpcM

https://youtu.be/MHPSJGfkmek

it will be fun day.
gas at the track is stupid expensive tho. F-Type did 1mpg on main straight. empty after 2, 30-min sessions.
lowlight likes this.

Current:
'18 Giulia Ti-Sport Q4
Trofeo White / Red
Ti-Leather, Ti-Performance, Driver Static, Driver Dynamic, HK, 3D Navi, Dual-Pane Sunroof
7/28/18 Delivery
35% Tint + 80% front tint + 5% sunroof tint
Potenza RE-11 245/40/19
Pilot Alpine PA4 N-spec 235/40/19
DR900S-2CH 4K Dashcam

Past:
'14 F-Type S
'13 S4
'11 Evoque
'08 Q7 W12
'07 S2000
'06 RL
'06 G35 Coupe
'05 350Z Nismo
'05 R32
'04 M3
'03 S2000
'03 RSX Type-S
'02 TL Type-S
'01 Integra Type-R
'98 Maxima
'92 NSX

Last edited by xc1097; 03-12-2019 at 07:14 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnyc11 View Post
I just registered for my first ever track day! Lime Rock Park on May 17 with Patroon BMW.

Hope to see some of you there.

I bought a Bell M8 helmet but I'm open to any other tips/suggestions/preparations, such as if I need insurance or not.

I'll be running on stock corsas and breaks with 7k miles on them.

Thanks!
They are a great group of people you will have loads of fun...
do yourself a favor and have the brakes looked at as far as pads and of course give a hard look at the Corsas...you will have to have a tech inspection done prior too and at the track. no loose objects in the car or trunk, they will check to make sure the battery is secured well (as it is in the trunk).
track insurance is never a bad idea for your first time out, just follow the instructions of your instructor, pay attention in the classroom session prior to hitting the track...
and above all else HAVE FUN!!!!
lowlight likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 PM

Like MDriver stated, Patroon BMW is a good club to run with, in fact last year we had several Giulias there running in their event.

If I survive the Porsche Club race at LRP on the end of April I will most likely sign up to instruct at this event.

The BMW instructors are going to be a bit biased to ride in a QV, but by the end of the day they will learn to love it......

Have fun....... you never know, I might be sharing the track with you all......
lowlight likes this.

2017 4C coupe Rosso Alfa
2018 QV Rosso Competizione
2017 Jeep SRT
2017 Audi Allroad
2016 Subaru Crosstrek
2009 Carrera S
1998 Boxster (race car)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
All really great advice! Thanks guys

@BostonDMD , hope to see you there

2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio: Forza Controller, Centerline X-Pipe, Sprint Filter
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Nik

Assuming I can get my engine misfire issue sorted out relatively soon, I am definitely interested in joining for this. I drove LRP a couple times last season with Patroon; fun track, great for learning on, and a good group. I'll have my P2 tune to run on then as well which I've wanted to test on the track.

As the others mentioned, make sure you find a tech that will do your pre inspection (I would advise against the dealer) and make sure your tire rubbers good. The gas is expensive on track, but I think you can make it through most of the day, might need a half tank fill up on site. I was running about 4-5mpg in the Q4 and made it through the whole day on a single tank of gas. Don't drive like @BostonDMD and you might have enough rubber to get home .

Regarding insurance, I got it for all 3 track days I did last year. I never needed it, but if for any reason you do, you'll want it. The rules of the track are that you are responsible for your car and your car only (plus any damage caused to the track by your car), meaning if someone accidentally hit you, they technically owe you nothing and you need to cover your repairs. It's good peace of mind when you're out on the track.

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4 Vesuvio Gray
Corsa Exhaust, V2 Intake, P1 Tune
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Assuming I can get my engine misfire issue sorted out relatively soon, I am definitely interested in joining for this. I drove LRP a couple times last season with Patroon; fun track, great for learning on, and a good group. I'll have my P2 tune to run on then as well which I've wanted to test on the track.

As the others mentioned, make sure you find a tech that will do your pre inspection (I would advise against the dealer) and make sure your tire rubbers good. The gas is expensive on track, but I think you can make it through most of the day, might need a half tank fill up on site. I was running about 4-5mpg in the Q4 and made it through the whole day on a single tank of gas. Don't drive like @BostonDMD and you might have enough rubber to get home .

Regarding insurance, I got it for all 3 track days I did last year. I never needed it, but if for any reason you do, you'll want it. The rules of the track are that you are responsible for your car and your car only (plus any damage caused to the track by your car), meaning if someone accidentally hit you, they technically owe you nothing and you need to cover your repairs. It's good peace of mind when you're out on the track.

Why not the dealer? I was going to have them put on my summers, look into a few items for me and then do the inspection.

Interesting about the accident policy. Are you saying that without insurance, if I'm hit I'm liable, but with it the insurance pays?
How much did you pay for yours?

Hope to see you there

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Nik

Quote:
Why not the dealer? I was going to have them put on my summers, look into a few items for me and then do the inspection.

Interesting about the accident policy. Are you saying that without insurance, if I'm hit I'm liable, but with it the insurance pays?
How much did you pay for yours?

Hope to see you there
Guess it depends what relation you have with them. While I'm in warranty I don't want my dealer to know i'm going to the track. Not entirely sure how the fine print regarding warranty and tracking is written but I'd rather play it safe. If you are having it done without showing them the inspection form you need to sign for Patroon then maybe they won't know what it's for.

I paid a little over $200 per day, with a 10% deductible. Without insurance, if you're hit you are liable for your damage. With insurance, you are still liable for your damage but they'll cover everything past the deductible. I wouldn't worry much about being hit, the HPDE events are run very well and really limit the chance of car-to-car contact. I get the insurance for the off chance I push too hard and end up off track or if something mechanically goes wrong (Alfa warranty won't cover track related mechanical damage).

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Guess it depends what relation you have with them. While I'm in warranty I don't want my dealer to know i'm going to the track. Not entirely sure how the fine print regarding warranty and tracking is written but I'd rather play it safe. If you are having it done without showing them the inspection form you need to sign for Patroon then maybe they won't know what it's for.

I paid a little over $200 per day, with a 10% deductible. Without insurance, if you're hit you are liable for your damage. With insurance, you are still liable for your damage but they'll cover everything past the deductible. I wouldn't worry much about being hit, the HPDE events are run very well and really limit the chance of car-to-car contact. I get the insurance for the off chance I push too hard and end up off track or if something mechanically goes wrong (Alfa warranty won't cover track related mechanical damage).
200 is cheap. I thought it was 500. Who did you go with?

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Nik

Quote:
200 is cheap. I thought it was 500. Who did you go with?
I used Hagerty who operates with RLI track insurance. I only have the Q4 so my cars worth half yours at best. I go with 10% deductible, but if you choose 15% your rate will be lower.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page